What are Fillers?
Fillers are collagen complexes that are used to smooth wrinkles or pitted scars and fill loose lax spaces under the skin.
Difference between Botox and Fillers?
Botox works on relaxing and blocking muscle action underneath a wrinkle, whereas fillers, as the name suggests fills in the gap and provides volume which in turn makes the creases disappear.
What can Fillers do for me?
Fillers can be used to fix different concerns related to facial aging. Fillers are used to add volume and smoothen deep creases, wrinkles and nasolabial folds like the ones that run from the nose to the edges of the mouth. Injectable fillers are also used for the following:
- Bring back the youthful contours & fullness of your face, cheeks, hands etc.
- Removes wrinkles and gives fuller looks on hands
- Removes or decreases the shadow of the lower lids
- Lifts back your sunken cheeks and gives back those apple cheeks you once had.
- Gives fuller look to lips and chin.
- Removes wrinkles and improves the appearance of the recessed scars.
How is the procedure performed?
Fillers are injected directly into the area that is being treated using fine needles. This procedure can be done with or without topical anaesthesia. Most fillers come with local anaesthesia in them. So after the initial prick, the area being treated becomes numb which makes the procedure well tolerable.
What can be the effects Post Procedure?
- Mild redness over the treated area may be present, which resolves within few hours.
- Temporary numbness of the area as the product has local anaesthesia mixed in it.
- Occasionally, bruising can happen , which resolves within a week
- Allergic reactions are rarely encountered
What is the post-procedure care?
- Avoid intense physical activity for the next 24 – 48 hrs post procedure.
- Avoid make-up for the next 12 hrs.
- Avoid massages on the treated area for the next 12-24 hrs (except when advised by the doctor in the recommended direction for even distribution of the product)
When can I expect to see the results?
The results are seen instantaneously and keeps improving over next 2 weeks. One can see full result in about 2 weeks.
How long do the results last?
The results will last on an average from 6 months – 14 months depending on various factors like the product used, area treated, and other patient related factors. To have longer lasting results one must:
- Avoid frequent steam and sauna sessions.
- Avoid smoking (especially ones who got lip fillers done)
- Avoid regular facial massages.
Doing the above can degrade the product faster and the results do not last as long as they could.
How frequently the procedure has to be done?
To have a constant fuller look, one must repeat the sessions once the product injected starts degrading. Typically one should repeat it once in 12 – 15 months to have maintain the look . Or, one can get it done only when they want a certain look or if they have an event and want to look more presentable. And once the product goes away, they are back to their original contours.
# Word of caution
Fillers and Botox are very good and safe procedures when done right, but when over done or done too frequently they can lead to the so called filler faces or cat faces,.So, the important factor here is injector. Hence, Please choose a certified dermatologist who has enough experience with fillers as your injector.
Do not hesitate to ask as many questions as you want to get authentic information and to know what to expect after the procedure. Be very clear about what you are expecting from this procedure and discuss the long term implications of the procedure.
Stay healthy, Stay happy!!!
For any other skin concerns and queries mail us on firstname.lastname@example.org and
Dr. Priyanka Reddy will answer all your queries or reach us on 7338 010101.